Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Aurora What?!?

Hey everyone... in the middle of writing chase accounts to post from that 3 day sting of storm chases I talked about in my last post, some suprise auroras occured last night! It was probably one of the best displays I've seen so I figured I'd take a time out to make a quick blog post about it. I should have the 3 chase accounts ready to go tomorrow! A friend had called and asked me if I had checked the aurora plots at all and I answered that I hadn't he told me to take a look... I did and we talked about how the Earth's magnetic field had been stuck to the south most of the day (good sign for Northern Lights) and the KP index was increasing steadily. Another photographer in Ireland noted that he had a very good display and nearly everytime he has seen them we have too! Somehow... the storm lasted until dark. As twilight set in I decided to head to a wind farm to potentially timelapse the aurora over the windfarm. Before twilight was even gone a noticable auroral glow was already happening! Here is a shot: IMG_1616 copy Once in finally got dark I had to jump into a couple shots while the first camera was time lapsing! Here is me being a dork with the aurora: IMG_1343 copy This green arc was rather steady over the next couple of hours... as it started to head north I decided to switch locations to the river front near my house with the hopes it would come back. Finally around 1 am it did... and even though the surge was rather brief it was INCREDIBLE! Here is my favorite shot from the night: IMG_1843final copy With 2 cameras and a nice aurora display... I made a pretty long timelapse. You can also find that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVjbnW_wU-w Check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks again for your patience! Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment