Wednesday, February 16, 2011

First Legitimate Post

Well, I have decided to start up a blog as we head into the next spring and summer season... and that means, CHASING! I've also been trying to get more involved in the photography things again and have decided that a blog where I can discuss some of these items might be a great tool to use and also interact with others, and at the very least, be able to jot my ideas and thoughts down to have something to look back on.

I guess I should start with a little more about myself. I am a 23 year old photographer and storm chaser from Omaha, Nebraska. My interest in the weather started while growing up in the Great Plains in Nebraska. The most specific memory that sparked my interest in severe storms that I can remember, is shortly after I started coming home from school alone at the age of 11-12. I remember it being a fall day, but very humid, and shortly after he arrived home from school... thunderstorms erupted. An isolated supercell thunderstorm quickly went tornado warned one county to the west, and moved slowly towards our house. About 30 minutes later I was witnessing the structure and motion of an incredible mesocyclone moving over... even though I didnt recognize it all the time. I decided I wanted to know more about these storms and haven't stopped learning ever since. I briefly attended the University of Nebraska- Lincoln, and while I had always had an interest in photography, it certainly took off after a few journalism and photography courses in Lincoln. In 2007/ 2008, I started chasing storms locally and continued to learn more about the weather. Then in 2009 I started chasing more long distance events. This past year, in 2010 I chased over 25 times for a total of 15,000 miles. I also ended up in many states... Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Colorado, Oklahoma, and was close to many others. Nothing will replace the feeling of being under a great storm.

In other news, you can see some of my photography at this link, until I start posting some here, I'll be doing some posts relating to my favorite images, some images that mean alot to me, and other items soon. I'll also be trying to get some forecasts up periodically to provide my insight on chases and other phenomenon we try to photograph here.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I will enjoy this blog since I LOVE thunderstorms and tornados and dont forsee me becoming a chaser any time soon, too much going on but your photo looks fantastic above our couch. Chris Grady

    ReplyDelete